[RC] Introducing horse to a new herd - Julienne

Hey everyone,

I've moved Isabella to a new barn this past month.  She was in quarantine for
10 days and this past Wednesday I turned her out with the new herd of 6, a
mixture of geldings and mares in a 7 acre hilly pasture.  The herd is an
established group, very very mellow and lazy, led by a bay mustang gelding.

When I turned Isabella loose Wednesday morning, she was immediately surrounded
by the curious herd.  No real kicking went on although I did hear her squeal a
few times.  She ran away from the herd to the other side of the pasture.  The
gelding 2nd in command followed after her a few times, chasing her back to the
herd, but she would immediately retreat back to the other side of the pasture.

I haven't been able to stay out there during the day, but she's been keeping to
herself the past 2 days, coming down occasionally to grab a drink to eat.  The
feeders have been tossing her hay into the hill and she's been eating fine.
Last night when I took her out to supplement her, the other horses immediately
trotted up and surrounded us..  no squealing, just curious about her.  I
checked her over, she didn't seem dehydrated, she had a little dried sweat on
her.  She's losing a little weight but nothing alarming yet (I figure it's just
the stress of moving to a new barn).  After I fed her next to where the herd
was eating, I let her loose and she immediately ran away from the herd back to
the far side of the pasture.

She doesn't seem anxious.. she's not pacing or anything.  She has the paddocks
in sight where she was in quarantine before, so she can see the other paddock
horses, which is why I think she's not in a big hurry to join the herd.

She's never been a real independent horse.. she's been in 2 herds in the past 5
years and she's integrated herself fairly quickly, being the low mare on the
totem pole, and being very attached to her herd.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before? Is this normal?   I'd like to
hear observations of what other people have seen introducing new horses into
herds.. how long does it usually take?

Julienne
&Isabella