RE: [RC] beet pulp warning - Chastain, Shannon L.

What does "seen the wrecks" mean?

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of PKatucki@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 9:55 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] beet pulp warning

It's extremely rare for food to be in there.My vet(from a sizable clinic) hadn't seen it .I've seen no reference in my research. My vet is very familiar with beet pulp because she's a former endurance rider but said she's never fed it because she's "seen the wrecks" as she put it. She suspects that the sticky, prone-to-packing nature of it caused it to get stuck to his pharynx and eventually work its way into the pouches.

Symptoms:My horse was tossing his head in a very irritated fashion when he tried to eat. He was very pissed off.
Radiographed his head and saw something there(BOTH pouches) Positive I.D. with endoscope.
It was not easy to get out;again due to the stickiness of it.He had to be flushed 4 times.