Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Midwest horse feeding and riding buddies - Rosalie Marley

I hope this isn't too off topic - my mare just had her first foal a few days ago.  (She hadn't heard that mares aren't supposed to be able to get pregnant in mid-winter.)  The weather has been fabulous - 70s during the day, mid-30s at night.  Of course, once she foaled, a front came through.  She and the other mares normally live at pasture, with a big shed, they get along fine and all will go in, babies too.  Right now the tally is 3 mares, one foal.

They have a big roundbale of grass hay, the same stuff that grows in their pasture (we cut it off of another field on our property.  We live in SW Nebraska, a little south and east of Frank.

We had snow last night, but it's gone this morning.  Tonight it's supposed to get down to 13 degrees.  Should I be feeding mom more -something- so she can make more milk for the little guy?  He looked good this morning, but I know things can change quickly.  I got some mare/foal feed for her (he's 5 days old today) and have been giving it to the mom in the hopes that it will make more or richer milk.  I'm not worried about the adults, but I sure would like for this little guy to make it.

Thanks,
Rosalie