[RC] Midwest horse feeding and riding buddies - Alice Lynn

I just moved to Omaha from San Diego.  I have one four year old gelding who I would like to start doing LDs on in the spring, and one 16 year old mare that I ride moderately.  I cannot afford to have them stabled over the winter, and all of the boarding facilities around here free feed alfalfa from round bales in pasture.  My horses are a little fat, but not overly so.  I am concerned about them eating this much alfalfa, and raised the question of free feeding grass hay instead, but several people have told me that the process of digesting the alfalfa is what keeps them warm during the winter, and they won't be able to withstand the elements as well if they are being fed grass hay and grain.  Any thoughts on this?  I am also curious about how endurance riders in the midwest ride during the winter, and would love to meet more people in the area to go riding with.