Re: [RC] Midwest horse feeding and riding buddies - Karen Sullivan

I'm trying to imagine a big round hay feeder out in the weather filled with alfalfa.....isn't it really dangerous to have alfalfa get wet and start to ferment and mildew in the middle?  It's bad for any hay...but alfalfa especially?
Karen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Midwest horse feeding and riding buddies

 "...digesting the alfalfa is what keeps them warm during the winter, and they won't be able to withstand the elements as well if they are being fed grass hay and grain...."

If horses have enough hay, of any variety, they will do fine out in MT or WI winters.  I have used everything from ~50% Alfalfa to 100% grass to winter horses.  I also used 80% clover hay one year when I was in WI.

The key is to feed them enough.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road