[RC] Weaning Help - Jillcohndc

Hi All,
    I'd like to draw on your collective resources to help me with weaning our 4.5 month old colt.  We have two full grown horses: colt's mother, Zuni, and 19 year old NSH gelding, Winslow.  We have two separate paddocks (half acre each) and run in sheds for both horses.  I am wondering if you all have opinions--know you do, want to hear 'em--on the safety of gradually moving colt, Ishi, from Zuni's through the gate to Winslow's?  Is this crazy?  Winslow is a pretty gentle, levelheaded horse but confidently dominant.  He's tall: 16.1 HH.  Otherwise Ishi'd have to live alone with no shelter until fully weaned.  How long will it take till he's completely weaned (her bag dries up, etc.)?   Thank you!
    Jill in Berkeley, CA