Re: [RC] Weaning Help - Beth Bliss

I started by putting my mare (Arapaho) and her filly (Ivy) out with my other two horses, an old mare (Lady) and her 18 year old gelding (Corduroy) when Ivy was about 3 1/2 months old.  At first it was just for short periods, and I increased the time gradually until they were all together most of the day.  I watched, and saw that Ivy began to pair up with Lady to sun herself in the afternoon.  She had picked who she would be weaned with.

At 5 1/2 months, Lady traded places with Arapaho.  I left Ivy in the area she had been raised in to decrease her stress.  The weaning went very smoothly.  Ivy called out about 5 times the first night.  Once or twice the 2nd night.  After that it became a rare occurrence.   Arapaho answered her a few times, but less times than she got the call too.  The areas are not side by side, and unless each stood in a specific corner of their area, they couldn't see each other.   I don't know how much difference being side by side would make.  I will probably not put them back together until springtime.

The mare's udder never appeared to get uncomfortable, and was pretty much back to "normal" in a couple weeks time.

I had taken time off work to be around during the first week.  It is a very stressful time for the foal, and I wanted to be watching to see that she didn't run until she was wet with sweat, or go off her feed.  I spent some extra time playing with her.  What better way to spend time off?

Good luck.
Beth