RE: [RC] Saddle pad heat comparison testing - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

I probably shouldn't be posting on this thread because I am a Supracor dealer, but I'm also a user with quite a bit of experience. I use a Supracor almost every time I saddle a horse and prefer the hunter jumper/ dressage style for a variety of reasons. The only problem I have ever had is my horse got a bruise where the girth and billets were below the pad on a 100 mile ride. Next training ride I tried the endurance model, but she bucked whenever we cantered. The endurance model is a bit longer and stiffer and poked her in the loins. I should probably take some scissors and fix that but....  BTW the reason that the Supracor pads are cooler in the tests on a moving horse is that there are little holes between the honeycomb cells as well as in the top and bottom of them. When the horse moves the cells collapse and expand absorbing shock, but also acting as a pump circulating  air over the horses back.  Libby
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jonni
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:24 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Saddle pad heat comparison testing

http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/Current/Projects/J1104.pdf

Here is the student study, on heat, and saddle pads. I love studies like this, as they have nothing to gain by finding one pad over the other. They are not vendors selling a thing. And, neither am I, but will say I've been pleased with the Supracore I have. I had some mild doubts heading off on to the Tevis trail, and even had other pads in my crew bag "just in case", but used the same pad all 100 miles, with a good looking back at the end of the ride. Oh, and it was under an old used Big Horn saddle. Nothing fancy. I don't sell those either.  ;-)

Jonni