[RC] Boots and vetting in - Dreamweaver

I haven't had any problems with any vets at any rides in any of the regions I've ridden in this year. I think the Epics are a little different from a regular easyboot because of the gaiter and how it goes up above the back of the foot and wraps around the pastern. I think it's pretty reasonable for a vet to want to see the horses feet and pasterns before the ride starts, same as they are checking for saddle or girth galls.

Not sure how many rides Chief has done now with the Epics over barefeet, but it's been all but 4 rides out of the 2200 miles he's completed this year. My younger horse has done 100 miles with the Epics over barefeet. If I hadn't done this myself, I'm not sure I would have believed how well this could work.

I usually try to scope out the trot out area ahead of time and see what that is like. While I feel that if my horse can't trot out over gravel and rocks barefoot soundly he shouldn't be doing the ride, I also feel that it is stupid to purposely trot a barefoot horse over rocks.

If the trot out area looks to be especially rocky, I may put the front boots on for the vet in. Otherwise I've been vetting them in barefoot. I just tell the vet that tomorrow the horse will have four boots on. Like I said, none of them have had a problem and none have requested that I put the boots on, or take them off. Most of the vets at rides I attend are used to seeing riders using easyboots and now epics.

I prefer to put the boots on in the morning of the ride. I want to keep my horse actually barefoot as much as possible, so putting the boots on the day before the ride and leaving them on for that long sort of defeats that purpose, especially on multidays. So I put them on in the morning of the ride, and take them off after the completion vet check.

Karen