From what I understand, early NATRC rules (again, I don't know when this
changed) did not allow watering horses during the rides.  Now, it's
encouraged, and ride managers go to great trouble to haul water on rides
that don't have natural water sources.  So, there has been a lot of evolving
... one thing I know that both NATRC and AERC encourage is the health and
safety of the horse, which I think we all appreciate.

Carla Richardson

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Sky Ranch" <skyranch@xxxxxxxx>; "Ridecamp Guest"
<guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] "sound"? endurance horses

I'm glad to hear that boots are now allowed.  When we first tried a NATRC
ride in 1975, my husband was riding a horse we had just bought and the
horse
had just finished Tevis (16th) wearing leather pads.  Lud didn't bother to
remove the pads, as we knew nothing of NATRC rules.  Our sister-in-law was
just putting on the first of her many years of NATRC rides, so we thought
we
would try it out.  All went well for awhile until a disgruntled rider
noticed Lud's horse was wearing pads and the rider tattled to the judges
and
vets.  Lud was called on the carpet for this infraction, so he said how
about removing the pads, and he was told that was OK.  So he whipped out
his
trusty pocket knife and cut out the pads, then continued on his way.  I
guess it's only recently that the policy of no extra hoof protection has
been revised.

Barbara