[RC] Rude Riders Revisited - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson4299@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joe Long:  I have one big question with your comment that "the rider's time
should be WHEN the horse is Presented, not when the pulse is verified".
I have volunteered at alot of rides, and done my share of P/R work.  I have
NEVER been told by ride management or a vet that the time is to be "when the
horse comes to me".  As you know, sometimes it is hard to hear the hearbeat,
for a number of reasons: wind-fat layer on horse- heavy coat-nickering to it's
buddy-Lots of reasons.  Then there is the horse who insists on moving about and
won't stand long enough to get a pulse.  If I have a horse who is just at the
cusp of 60 (or whatever the criteria is for the VC), I will try to stay with
the horse for longer than 15 seconds to hear the horse, especially if it is
obvious that the horse is dropping its pulse.
I have often spent more than a minute trying to get a "verification", and it
would be next to impossible to call to the timer for a time to write on the
card, and expect the timer to give me a time a minute or so earlier.
If I have been doing it wrong all these years, I fear that I am NOT the ONLY
one.  Please clarify.
As for Merryben's post- Not only should the rider be DQ'd for punishing the
volunteers, it should be made known at awards dinner that it happened, and
imprint that on some of the riders who are on the edge all the time, and expect
preferential treatment because of their "perceived status".