Re: [RC] Rude Riders Revisited - Joe Long

This is somewhat a regional thing.  But the way it is done that I believe is the
best way, the pulse area (or lanes) is accessed by taking the horse through a
gate about six to eight feet wide.  This can be marked with just a couple of
stakes and flagging tape.  A timer sits by the gate and writes down the time and
horse number as each horse passes through to be presented.  When the pulse-taker
verifies that the pulse is down, she gets the time from the timer and writes it
down on the card.  If the horse is NOT down, it must go back out, and the timer
strikes out the time on her log sheet.  Then the horse is brought back later for
another try.  Some rides impose a short penalty time before the horse can be
presented again, but most do not.

When properly set up this works very smoothly, all times are off of one clock,
and it doesn't matter if you get a "fast" or "slow" pulse-taker or if you have
to wait for one.  It may not matter much to people riding slowly and not
concerned with placing, but for those of us trying to finish in 1st place
SECONDS can matter.  In fact, when I managed rides, I would have the timer
record to the second at the last vet check, rather than the nearest minute, and
the horses went back out on the second as well.

Note that it doesn't matter when you "call out" anything, or if someone hears
you or not, or how busy the pulse-takers are, or how difficult it is to hear the
pulse.  Your time is the time your horse entered the P/R area to be verified.
Period.

The Race of Champions used this method, every ride in the Southeast Region has
used this method for years, and I think many rides in the eastern U.S. do it
about like this.  But I haven't seen it much in the west.

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:36:14 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>