[RC] rude riders revisited - Jonni

Since I myself volunteer at most of the local rides, rather than ride them, I have seen first hand some of the riders who do try to bully some of the volunteers. I wish I had been at the ride that the gentleman I talked to at the doctors office was at, and had seen who it was that got nasty with him. Although I do have a few ideas.  Our rides at this location are huge. Sometimes 150 - 200 total horses between all the distances. But, for the most part, the lines at the pulse and vets run smooth. All vet checks in one location. Usually very organized rides. But still, crowds happen, and I myself have seen riders come into a vet check, and end up with 10 horses at once at the in timer. The riders get in a huge rush to get their in time, so they can pulse, vet, and get on to the next leg. I have heard them yelling at the in timer to "hurry up".  Of course, if they would just give their number, and not be squabbling for them to "hurry up", I bet they would get their time quicker. Oh, and I could even name a few names of who some of these riders are. Some are high end, FEI level riders, who have NOT ever put on a ride that I know of, nor do they volunteer.  But I personally don't give a flip who they are. If they are rude to "me" while I volunteer, I'm not afraid to remind them that I put my life aside that day, just for them to come out and ride....... But, of course our first time volunteers will not do that. They will just walk away thinking that endurance riders in general are jerks, and to never help out again. How sad is that for the sports image.
Jonni