Re: [RC] [RC] rude riders revisited - Diane Trefethen

Jeremy Olson wrote:
You are correct when you say that the in-time does not matter as far as the pulse criteria goes, where it does come into play is in the BC recover from the in-time to the pulse-time.

Kristen A Fisher wrote:
All vets score BC differently and many may not calculate and/or use criteria
time when doing BC scoring. I did an informal poll of 4 vets at one ride and
only 2 of them look at data throughout the day.
For 50+ mile rides, the BC vets who "look at data throughout the day" are not looking at the times a horse took to pulse down. They are looking at the metabolics and soundness ratings. Even then, there is no place on the BC form for that info so the vet could only use it as a fudge factor to score a horse a bit higher or lower on soundness. The pulse-down time is fairly useless since there is no way to know how long the P&R lines were, whether the In-timer and the P&R person were properly synchronized, whether one or the other of them wrote the wrong time, etc. In any event, even IF those numbers were considered, the person in the original post who complained would have benefited from the delayed in-time, not been penalized.

Jeremy Olson wrote:
If a group of horses comes in together it is my understanding that they
shouold all have the same in-time. If I am incorrect in this line of
thinking please correct me.
This is definitely true at the finish line although some In-timers will artificially rank the riders a minute apart. If 3 riders come in at virtually the same time, they are PLACED by who finishes a second ahead of whom, but they should all get the same finishing time.