Re: [RC] the "old" days ? - Diane Trefethen

Mom Alexander wrote:
We didn't have heart monitors... we didn't use electrolytes... beet
pulp was for cows, we didn't load any carbs... we just rode our
horses, watched them closely, carried our stethoscopes and a watch
with a second hand... knew how to check our horses hydration the old
fashioned way, fed hay at every stop, let them drink as much as THEY
wanted, and let them rest if they needed it... I am just now getting
back into it, and learning about all this new technology and using elytes and special feeds... it kind of scares me.

Don't worry. You're not alone. I started in endurance when I was 46 and haven't completed an endurance ride in over 10 years. I now have two horses I have been conditioning this summer and hope to compete next year. I ride with a stethoscope in my fanny pack, a watch with a second hand, an English saddle with a Woolback pad, a scoop made from an old Clorox bottle and feed half and half oat and alfalfa with corn, oats and corn oil after each ride. I only started feeding beet pulp in September to add weight for the winter as my ponies will be outside 24/7.

In August I did a conditioning ride with some other endurance riders and was the only one with a stethoscope... which came in really handy when one of the other rider's HRM malfunctioned AND her horse wasn't acting right. I was able to hear (and let her listen to) her horse's heart beat. It was very irregular which I felt to be of concern.

Don't get me wrong, I read everything and want to be up on the latest
science has to offer...

I know all the new gadgets are useful but I still think that knowing how your horse goes and therefore knowing when he is not right is much more reliable than any digital read-out. Good luck on "our" returns to endurance in 2006. :)