Re: [RC] [RC] rude riders revisited - Zephyr Arabians

--- Catfish Daniels <catfishdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I guess it CAN be your life - whole heartedly - and
you can still have the
decency to be polite and appreciative at rides -
racing or not.

Well said, Catfish.  Just as in all aspects of life,
there is no excuse for being rude to those who are
only there to help you.

FWIW, I have ridden and volunteered at rides in the PS
region & ridden at rides in the NW region.  I've only
witnessed one incident of a rider being rude to a
volunteer.  It happened to be the front-running LD
rider who came into VC1 while many of us on the 50
were still there.  The VC was staffed in large part by
a Girl Scout troop helping out where ever they could.
This rider managed to be rude to at least one Girl
Scout that I saw and was just generally loud and
angry. As far as I know, this was her second LD (I saw
her at her first, too) and she might have won (she won
her first; this time I missed the LD awards).

On the flip side, I once had a volunteer get rude to
me.  At the finish of a 50 (where we'd just mock-raced
with a friend across the finish) she wanted me to dump
my tack and vet out immediately.  I told her that as I
had an hour I prefered to walk my horse back to my
trailer, untack there, put a cooler on him, let him
munch a few minutes, and then come back to vet out.
She snapped at me, saying "well, if he gets hurt
between now and then and you don't get a completion
you're going to regret it!"  I was agast, as I've
never had a volunteer talk to me in that tone nor have
I ever attended a ride where they expected you to vet
out immediately following your finish, but I let it go
and just walked away.  As I was leaving I heard her
say somthing snotty to the person next to her about
how I was being stupid!

Luckily I've never seen either of these scenarios
repeated.

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com