RE: [RC] Help ! From other farriers and/or vets - Karen Standefer

Hi, Judy.

I’d definitely go get x-rays.  Many horses are more upright on their right front hooves.  And that uprightedness (ok, not a word……I know) can also be associated with a thinner sole and misaligned joints.  It’s possible the coffin bone is bruised (Pedal Osteotis).  It’s also possible that she’s in the developmental stages of ring-bone (the symptoms certainly would make a person suspicious)  which would explain why the lighter shoe helps for a while and why the EZ Boot helps also.

I like Jennifer’s suggestion because it would help either a bruised coffin bone or a prolapsed frog.   But, I’d also want to know what’s going on internally, so I’d likely get a good hoof vet to do a workup if it were my mare.

What about her hoof conformation?   Is the mare flatfooted in front?

Karen Standefer