Re: [RC] eazy boots and urethane shoes - Sisu West Ranch

"... day before he was shod, he broke the left hind shoe in half, the other half was still securely attached, and ½ of the front left was separating from the hoof with the nails loosening.  All of the shoes were far more worn than usual...."

If the shoes were worn unevenly, your farrier may need to make an adjustment or two.  At some point in the number of miles ridden the wear on shoes gets enough that they have to be replaced before a trim is absolutely needed.  I am assuming that these shoes had NOT been reset.  Even if they look fine to the farrier, I do not allow resets during the ride season.

You can schedule your farrier appointments closer together.  This is a no brainer.  It is probably a good way to go.  I go 6 weeks in the summer, but 8 weeks in the winter.

As I posted last week, modern horseshoes are made from "mild steel".  This material does not harden when heated and quenched.  It is very soft, and will wear faster than 150 year old hand made shoes. Most farriers who hand forge shoes, purchase rod that is also mild steel.  I have heard of a farrier who forges shoes from old dump rake tines.  These would harden and last much longer.  Due to a conformation issue, Ranger wears off his rear shoes in 4 weeks of training.  Because he has poor feet, I do not want to shoe any more often than every 6 weeks.  Years ago my farrier helped me with this problem.  My solution is to use St. Croix Eventers, and arc weld beads of hard surfacing alloy on the toe and down both sides to the heal.  Note this is NOT borium, so it does not increase grip, just is more wear resistant.  It is available in various hardnesses.  It is commonly used to rebuild earth moving and digging equipment.  One of the least hard ones has worked fine.

I have not found that Urethane shoes are the answer.  My experience is that they last a fewer number of miles than steel shoes.  (I have not used them since 1990, so I will not be insulted if someone says that modern ones last a very long time.)

I also worry about the use of boots.  The weight and traction is changed with the boots.  If you put them on only sometimes, you are changing things faster than a horse can adapt.  I have no data, so again I will not be insulted if someone says they have put boots on for competitions for 10K miles with no problems.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875