Re: [RC] re: advice against swimming horses on "aquasizer" - Alisanne R. Steele

I tend to agree with t.i. on this one.  I have been a competitive long distance runner, and have also depended on cross-training to reduce injuries and to "balance" my efforts.  However, working on a treadmill in the water is an artificial movement (one would normally run or swim) the change (Increase)  in the resistance to normal forward movement also changes the affect on the muscles and the strengthening response that results.  The result might be that effort to overcome the over-developed antagonists would be greater than any other benefit received

Just my two cents...

Alisanne Steele & Taz

Reno, Nevada

sanne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There's nothing better for the soul of a man than the outside of a horse.
                  ~Ronald Reagan

Mary Krauss wrote:
Question about antagonists and agonists -- in my experience as a runner, I've always worked very hard to balance my body so that the overused "behind the leg" muscles are not allowed to take over.  I work hard to make sure that I'm building the "antagonists" as well.  In fact, as soon as I let go of the cross-training (swimming, biking, weight-lifting) I get hurt.  Seems to me one would want one's horse's body to be as balanced as possible.  Are equines different?
Mary K.