[RC] Skymont - rides2far

Just a quick post on here for anyone toying with the idea of going to
Skymont. Do it! :-) I've been riding up there the last 3 weeks and the
trails are in *great* shape. The colors are at their peak. June has the
trail marked sufficiently for the worst cases of DIMR to make it through
with flying colors, and the weather is just right. Heck, I liked it so
much that after we rode it with the horses I took Bill back and we did 13
miles of it on mountain bikes. :-)

The trail is in thick hardwood forests with tons of beautiful leaves to
swish through. It's a technical trail...not at all fast but not
especially difficult...just kinda time consuming. A good place to keep a
horse's mind from blowing. Camp is next to a beautiful lake and I took
several photos yesterday that just looked like a calender. If anybody
needs a screen saver drop me a request. :-)

The trail is pretty dry but they're planning to put out water. You're
mostly in the woods so the sun won't be a big problem even if it's sunny.
It's always cooler up on Monteagle so our shaggy horses did fine.This
ride is completely on the scout reservation so no worries with hunters.
:-))

I didn't know till June told me yesterday that  they're having the AERC
trails class up there this week. They sure picked a great place to hold
it. I envy them getting to spend the week up there.

A quick note on the directions. I've been following them the last couple
of weeks and saw a chance for someone as challenged as me to make a
mistake (though their directions are correct) It says to go through
Coalmont on to Altamont, then turn left on 108. Note: There is a chance
to turn on 108 in Coalmont and you need to ignore that and keep going all
the way to Altamont and then turn on 108. Finally, when you do turn on
108 it says go 7 miles to the scout reservation sign. On my truck
odometer it was 5 miles. If you're driving a big rig and overshoot I know
it's a pain so watch out for that.

See ya Saturday!
Angie