[RC] Listserve etiquette - Alisanne Steele

Hi All!

Being a systems administrator and software designer, I have been a member of many forums and listserves over the years.  When I have found myself a member of a moderated or censored list, I have most often quit the list and offered a censor-free alternative.  Ideas and information are most always of a higher content and quality when they are allowed to flow freely and without constraint.

That having been said, I have also found that most lists (and their hosts) have some basic rules and/or content requirements that attempt to keep the list clean, on-point, and non-combative.  It has been my past experience that when list content is degraded, topics veer far from course, and the atmosphere has become abrasive, many hosts have abandoned ship.  I would hate to see this valuable forum for camaraderie, information exchange, and shared experience be lost to such an end.

As a new member of the list, I am not aware of any such guidelines for this list, but common sense and basic etiquette might suggest that some of the recent postings would have been better received if they had been sent privately, or not at all.

Take Care!

Alisanne Steele & Taz

Reno, Nevada

sanne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There's nothing better for the soul of a man than the outside of a horse.
                  ~Ronald Reagan