[RC] Alfalfa - WRSINOSKY

Now, I'm really risking my neck here, but I'm going to ask a stupid question.

First of all, I live in central AZ, known as the desert.  When possible, I feed rye hay to my horses or a combination known as Paca Verde (rye, alfalfa, bermuda).  After the rye runs out, which is the case now, I feed alfalfa.

I have fed alfalfa all the years I have owned horses in this area.  I have not had problems with colic or anything else.  My horses refuse straight bermuda.  They pee on it and lay on it, but don't eat it.  I am currently paying $8.50 to $10.00 for a bale of hay...any kind of hay.

So, my question is: Why is alfalfa so bad for the horses? Most vets and horse people in the area feed it as well.

Now, please.  Don't jump all over me.  I'm not asking this question to be harrassed and condemned.  I want what is best for my horses.  But if they seem to thrive on the alfalfa, I'm wondering why everyone insists it is so bad for them.

Cindy Edwards
M33041
Buckeye, AZ

See?  I'm not that afraid.  I'm even posting my name.