RE: [RC] hot shoeing - Lauren E. Reitz

If your farrier is incompetent enough to "over do it" then you have larger
problems and should be running in the opposite direction! It really isn't
that hard to see whether a shoe is black hot or red hot and take note of how
much smoke rolls off. There are plenty of horrible farriers out there. They
don't have to be licensed and they can be slick-tongued devils. You can take
an 8 week or less crash course and call yourself a farrier but it doesn't
mean you know a darned thing about shoeing horses. You can work for years
without the correct knowledge and be just as bad. If your farrier can't
properly hot fit a shoe, he/she probably isn't trimming the hoof or fitting
the shoe or doing any other number of things correctly either. Take it as a
sign and find a new shoer!

The advantages to hot shoeing have been outlined. If you have a horse that
looses shoes frequently, hot shoeing can help. It is not the only answer,
but burning in the clips and ensuring a PERFECT fit down to flattening the
very last rasp groove in the hoof WILL help keep a shoe on a bad foot. No
matter how good you are at cold shoeing you just won't get as tight a fit as
you will hot fitting a shoe. Your eyeballs and the mechanical tolerances you
can achieve with a rasp even in the most expert of hands will not make that
cold shoe a perfect match, but hot fitting can. Sure you can cold shoe the
majority of horses with no problems, but for those few that have poor feet
and a penchant for loose shoes, hot fitting can make a difference. For the
rest, well I don't know about you but I like the best for my horses and hot
fitting gives the best fit.

You DO NOT burn the hoof shorter, you DO NOT use hot fitting as a substitute
for good flat rasping and shaping of the hoof, you DO NOT burn any living
tissue or cause pain. There may be some smoke and smell, but it should not
be billowing off in clouds You hot fit to perfectly mate the well fitted
shoe with the properly trimmed hoof to ensure perfect even surface pressure
and burn in the clips if necessary.

Saying that others hot fit because they can charge more or compensate for
poor trimming is blasphemous. I'd question the shoer who said such a thing
and wonder if they even had the skill or knowledge to hot fit themselves or
if they were just saying so to conceal their ignorance.

Lauren Reitz

Also, I have found that even among shoers who think that "hot fitting"
(which this practice is referred to by some people who do it) has
sufficient benefits that it should be practiced regularly, they all agree
that it must be done carefully, that it is possible to "over do" it, and
the consequences of such can be decidedly unpleasant.

So, if somebody were to ask my opinion as to whether it ought to be done, I
would say that the risks outweigh any possible rewards and you would do
better to find a shoer that doesn't.

kat
Orange County, Calif.