Re: [RC] hot shoeing - Diane Trefethen

ALL horse shoers place each new shoe against each of the horse's hooves to ascertain whether that shoe correctly fits that hoof. This is regardless of whether they cold shoe or heat the shoe in a forge. Clearly if a shoe is hot from the forge, a shoer isn't going to plunge the hot shoe into cold water, THEN see if the shoe fits as that would totally negate the several advantages of heating the shoe in the first place. Thus, of necessity, the hot shoe IS placed against the horse's hoof. Briefly putting a hot shoe against a hoof is not "searing the shoe into the foot". Further, most shoers do not check the shoe when it is RED hot. They first allow the shoe to cool somewhat.

katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
A google search of farrier + hot shoe provides an assortment of links to
web pages with different opinions as to whether hot shoeing automatically
includes searing the shoe into the foot or if it is just using a forge to
shape the shoe.

tivers@xxxxxxx wrote:
Point me to a farrier site that says hotshoeing automatically includes
searing the shoe into the foot and I'll instantly concede your point.

katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

http://riograndeforge.tripod.com/hotshoeing.html
http://www.horseillustratedmagazine.com/horse/detail.aspx?aid=1658&cid=23&se
arch=
How is that for starters?

While Mr Ivers may be willing to concede the point based on site #1 above, I think he is in error. That link does NOT define hot shoeing as "searing the shoe into the foot" or anything like it. It says, "The length of time the hot shoe is placed on the hoof should not exceed just a brief second or two." All subsequent references to burning the hoof fall within that limitation. The article DOES state, "If a horse is sore footed due to thin soles, extreme caution and care should be used when hot seating the shoe." Perhaps, Kat, you thought the author's "t" was an "r"?

The second link likewise fails to prove that "hotshoeing automatically includes searing the shoe into the foot". Even though it provides only a one-sentence definition of hot shoeing, that sentence includes the words, "...presses the hot shoe to the hoof". Note, that it says "TO the hoof", not "INTO the hoof". If the intention of the definition where that the shoe was to be seared INTO the hoof, then it would not have employed the word "to", which suggests just touching the shoe to the hoof.

The original poster said, "Am I the only person who cringes when the farrier puts the smoking hot shoe on the hoof and ‘sears’ in on there?" As she later clarified, her concern was with the practice of placing a hot shoe against a horse's hoof and LEAVING it there long enough to melt the hoof to fit the shoe. Truman said, "The shoe should fit the horse", and ti, "'Hot shoeing' is defined as using a forge to heat the shoe so that its is more easily shaped to properly fit the foot" and Pauline, "A good farrier wil (sic) shape the shoe to the foot". No one here on Ridecamp advocated using a hot shoe to melt down the hoof. The RC proponents of hot shoeing were concerned that the original poster, whose SUBJECT was "hot shoeing", would think that if one chose to "hot shoe" one's horse, that automatically meant one was choosing to have the shoe seared into the hoof.

As an aside, when I first started reading Ridecamp, I was impressed, Kat, with your wide-ranging knowledge and interesting input. As time passed, I noticed that your posts sometimes contained barbs aimed at those with whom you disagreed. Whether it be Tom Ivers or you, when ANYONE takes a cheap shot at another here on Ridecamp, the result is that we readers devalue that person's whole post because it looks too much like that person's post is motivated by vindictiveness or their own personal agenda, not a desire to inform. <kind>