[RC] Endurance Clinic Topics - chicamuxen

Last year I helped the Old Dominion put on a horseless clinic about
endurance/distance riding. It was well received and fun. We had an outstanding
attendance as it took place in Feb and I think a lot of riders were getting
itchy to get something horse related done.

I've decided to get a head start on next years clinic and have been thinking
about what I would like to do differently. One of the things I learned from
last years clinic was that we tried to cover too many topics. None of the
speakers had enough time to cover their subject. I also see that I don't want
to aim this just at  the newbies as we had a lot of folks that had already
gotten started in the sport express interest.

I'd like to ask this group for opinions about major topics for the speakers. If
I only picked 4 topics to cover, what should they be??  What  would you like
to know more about now? What would you have liked to have learned when you
first got started?

Shoeing?

Nutrition and feed analysis?

Conditioning?

Training?

Saddle fit?

I've also been wondering about the feasibility of having a clinic where we
could actually use live horses for demos. The problem is the weather/temps at
the end of winter. We've been scheduling the clinics for late winter so we
don't conflict with ride dates. Would you rather attend a clinic where you can
watch a farrier, watch a trainer, maybe observe an instructor?

Opinions?

Bonnie Snodgrass