To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] hot shoeing

So you were talking of hot fitting. Good to get on the same page. I still think it does no damage when done right. Like I said my farrier causes little to no smoke and only has a shoe on for a mere second. It is not red hot. It just gives him a few points on the shoe so he can more easily define where it still needs to be shaped for that perfect fit. My horses don't notice and I have never had a lame one from it. All my horses feet look awesome. If an issue comes up I am sure I would change my mind about it, but I have been using a shoer that hot fits for ten years now and have never had any problems from it. And believe me if I saw billows of smoke coming off my horses feet and them struggling in any way to get away or even looking uncomfortable that farrier would be out the door!
I also usually get opinions from people and get the farrier that is considered the best of the best in the area...they just have all happened to hot fit. If the best farrier in the area was a cold fitter I would use them.