Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] hot shoeing - Juli Jakub

So you were talking of hot fitting. Good to get on the same page. I still think it does no damage when done right. Like I said my farrier causes little to no smoke and only has a shoe on for a mere second. It is not red hot. It just gives him a few points on the shoe so he can more easily define where it still needs to be shaped for that perfect fit. My horses don't notice and I have never had a lame one from it. All my horses feet look awesome. If an issue comes up I am sure I would change my mind about it, but I have been using a shoer that hot fits for ten years now and have never had any problems from it. And believe me if I saw billows of smoke coming off my horses feet and them struggling in any way to get away or even looking uncomfortable that farrier would be out the door!
I also usually get opinions from people and get the farrier that is considered the best of the best in the area...they just have all happened to hot fit. If the best farrier in the area was a cold fitter I would use them.
<P>Juli Jakub</P>
<P>The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.</P>
<P>~ arabian proverb</P></DIV></html>

<BLOCKQUOTE style='PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #A0C6E5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px'><font style='FONT-SIZE:11px;FONT-FAMILY:tahoma,sans-serif'><hr color=#A0C6E5 size=1>
<head>

</head>
I guess you missed my point. Shoes should be shaped hot and that is
exactly what my farrier does. Steel is a lot easier to work with hot
than cold. I don't consider the practice of using a forge as &quot;hot
shoeing.&quot; To me hot shoeing is the practice of burning the foot. It's
the practice of burning the foot that is questionable. <br>
A good farrier should be able to balance and prepare a foot without
burning it to fit the shoe. <br>
Cheers<br>
Truman<br>
Juli Jakub wrote:
exception rather &lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;than the rule.
I had my high level eventer done by some top farriers including one who
shoes for many Olympic teams...they all hot shoed and believed that it
provided them a way to get a better fit to an already balanced foot and
to shape the shoe more precisely to the horses foot. I paid alot for
them...not because they hot shod but because they were Olympic level
farriers and had tons of years of experience. Kierney completely
changed my TB's feet all for the better. I have seen alot of hot and
cold shoeing and it seems you cannot shape a shoe as much when it is
cold. I am not a farrier, but my farriers have let me both make a shoe
from scratch ( didn't come out so well but it sure was custom for some
really weird horse) and bang a cold shoe (I am very hands on)....from
what I personally felt it seems impossible to make a cold shoe become a
perfectly custom shoe, but with hot shoeing you sure can make an exact
shoe! I know many good cold shoers who are great farriers, but when I
want or need a custom shoe that will fit like a glove I will go for hot
shoeing everytime. I have had horses that I can cold shoe and had
great results. And like I said if your hot shoer is burning your horses
foot...get a new hot shoer. Mine you can barely tell he put the shoe to
the foot. In fact there is very little singing or smoke. My farrier is
also very reasonable and does not charge extra for hot shoeing. It is
the same as a cold shoe unless he is doing alot of extras like making
clips, bars, and other fancy gadgets ect. ect. But like anything else
in the horse world everyone is going to have a different opinion. They
should. Different farriers, different horses, different circumstances,
different methods. What works for one is not going to work for
everyone. That's horses!
&lt;html&gt;&lt;DIV&gt;
&lt;P&gt;Juli Jakub&lt;/P&gt;
&lt;P&gt;The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's
ears.&lt;/P&gt;
&lt;P&gt;~ arabian proverb&lt;/P&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;/html&gt;

<title>&quot;The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement</title>

{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
ol
{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
{margin-bottom:0in;}

of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound
truth