Re: [RC] selling horses - Bette Lamore

Hi Sandy
We do a similar thing. We breed when we have leased our mare-- the lessee gets
to see the mares produce with Halynov, Riverdance, or one of our other
stallions (If it is a Halynov daughter) and see the conformation and movement
of the mare, sire and siblings. They no longer have to spend big bucks to get a
quality mare just to get a baby. AND it is a way to insure that my mares stay
fit by having babies often (you ever get the flu while pregnant? Doctors say
that our immune system goes into overdrive and it is the same with mares).
SOOOO.. it is a win-win for all. I make the babies and others pay to raise and
train them. This year is the first year I have bred a few without a lease in
play yet I've already sold one in-utero foal and the other is pending. People
like the idea of knowing what is coming and I can make it affordable for the
average person so long as I don't have to feed the horse until it grows up or
train it. Of course, I would not have been able to do this had
I not studied videography and web site development and had to pay others for
the promo DVD and web site-- it took me 3 weeks pretty much 24/7 to make my
mare and sire DVDs. To make it at all in the horse business these days, you
have to be a master of all trades-- I do my own web site, videos, breeding ,
most of my vet work, and yes, I shovel A LOT of poop! I believe most of us
smaller breeders without the deep pockets have done the same.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

SandyDSA@xxxxxxx wrote:
We don't breed any foal that we can't afford to keep, and that is just what I would do before I Would sell a foal let alone a horse i had more time and $$ in to someone for that kind of a price. I understand the difference between a finished 6 year old and a barely started 6 year old - and they all eat the same amount of hay basically. That alone is better than $1500 over 6 years - heck, over 4 years! Besides, it is a rare person I have found, and they are generally people i know - who is unwilling or unable to pay a decent price for a horse who will then go on and give that horse the kind of care I would give them myself - or certainly want for them.As someone else said, the price of the HORSE is nothing compared to the cost of caring for one. s