Re: [RC] selling horses - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

>>I found a 7 year old gelding that was green broke for $10,000

I've got a 5 year old green broke gelding that I'll sell you for $5,000. Come on over!

>>and they wouldn't let me even ride the horse once before I would buy it!

I'll let you ride him to the end of the drive and back. :-D

>>What I learned for myself (not for anyone else necessarily) after hundreds of phone calls and looking at a LOT of horses in many states:

>>>Buy from a reputable breeder

You just passed up Pierez, Crystal's Charm and a bunch of other great horses.).

>>A lot of people will buy a horse when it is foaled and pay the breeder to do the training AFTER the horse is old enough to ride.    If I had extra money, that would be the way to go.   The horse is well taken care of for the first 3 or 4 years, you KNOW the horse is not ridden too soon, and someone who loves the horse will be breaking and doing the early training.    What a deal, huih?

>>>Just my two pennies on the subject.

That would be a 6 year process to get an endurance horse in its first ride (assuming no set backs!). You and I have very different theories. :-) I rode a 14 year old well broke horse the other day and I like him a lot. I'm tempted to just buy him for myself and enjoy a few years of campaigning him. I could buy a foal, wait four years and find out when I start riding him that he cuts himself up interfering...or I can get on this horse, judge that he's a good prospect and enjoy myself. People say you don't know about past problems on a horse that's already ridden but there's also a ton of problems you can't see on a young one until they're ridden. I'm not sure the risk is any greater.

I want to start going to redneck wagon trains and look for Arabs that some fool has left tied up for days at a time, raced across open fields, all the stupid stuff I don't do to a horse...and it's learned to think it's no big deal. Once they're suitably lobotomized by being with those people who don't realize a horse's mind can't survive that, they're so fun to ride!

Angie