[RC] selling horses - oddfarm

Nicki, I am not in the business of buying or selling horses but I do understand where you are coming from. I also agree with Cowboy Ed, about sometimes you get more out the horse you are selling than just money. Of course Ed is all about the horse and that is what makes him who he is, just a great guy. Angie makes a good point also. My Odd Todd was the cheapest and is worth a gold mine now. Actually, Money Pit was the cheapest horse I ever bought but as her name can attest to, that is no longer the case :) Actually, she was cheap, it was the damn eye that cost so much!!!!! Oh geez, I feel my blood pressure going up.

I have always felt the horse is worth more to the seller than to the buyer. That is because the seller wants to make money and the buyer doesn't want to spend a lot of money. The buyer wants it all, the seller doesn't want to give it all away. It can be very difficult to convince someone who is looking for an endurance horse that it is worth $3500 even with proven rides. I have seen a few horses selling for over $20,000 but I don't know that is what the seller actually got.

I had a lady tell me that part of the price for buying some horses from her included the shipping SHE had to pay to have them sent to her! She insisted these horses were worth a ton of money according only to what she paid for them. After declining my final offer I told her I would send an appraiser to her farm and whatever the horses appraised, that would be the price I would pay. That meant if they appraised lower than my final offer, that would be all I would pay. She finally accepted my offer.

So I would suggest that as a seller, be realistic about what you are selling. Pedigrees don't count for much in a gelding or for a very young horse unless they have a proven record and have done as well or better at what they were bred for. Disposition is worth A LOT!!!! Conformation is very important but not always a deal breaker. Suggest to the seller to get a pre-purchase exam and if they decide to take the horse take $50 or so off the price to help compensate for the exam. That won't put you in the poor house and might help make the sale. If you really believe you have a special horse that is very valuable, get an appraisal. At least you would have an expert's opinion to try and sell your horse, not just your own.

As a buyer, try to understand all the time and effort that went into making this horse if the owner is the breeder or trainer, or even both. Feed, shoes, shots, all are a part of doing business, but their time is valuable. Also, if the horse is well broke and ready to ride, that is less money you have to spend on a trainer or in lessons. Not every seller is a "reputable breeder" but rather just another horse owner with too many horses. Get a pre-purchase exam, no matter what. That alone can save you a ton of money.

I would rather pay $3500 for a horse I can ride and stop, that gets in a trailer, takes care of himself on the trail, and can take to any trail without injuries incurred do to poor conformation than pay $1000 for a horse that ends up not being able to do any ONE of these things.

Lisa Salas, The Odd farm