Re: [RC] selling horses - SandyDSA

I think it goes beyond just "getting your money back out of it", though it would be NICE:). It has to do with making as sure as one can that the horse, whether a foal or a finished horse is in a home that not only respects the time, trouble and money put into this horse, but also has the capacity and desire to provide the same kind of care, training and support as we would give. That is why we don't breed a foal we cannot afford to keep. In the end, we ARE selling pedigrees in a way, even if it is a gelding. While there are many exceptions, a horse's genetics tell us a lot about what he CAN'T do well probably more than what he CAN. I would not sell a foal of our senior stallion with the intent to turn it into an English Pleasure horse. It simply has not been in the genetic cards for this stallion's get. In the end, endurance is one sport in which being wrong can be...deadly. As we have discussed before, the $500 auction wonder appears rarely, and most horses who would be gotten that way would not survive the rigors of endurance training. Frankly, I don't want someone with no sense buying my horse for a song and then trying to ..."race". eek!