From: Chris Paus
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Selling Horses

I wonder where that overbreeding is when the annual numbers of newly registered horses are declining in the AHA and the average age of a registered Arabian in the US is in its teens.

chris

Donna Coss <coss@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bargain hunters are everywhere--look at the success of E-Bay! There
still seems to be a lot of overbreeding in the Arabian world--any times
by small breeders who breed a mare or so and end up with more horses
then they can feed. Many times these horses are from quality
bloodlines and the breeders' just want "out" and price is reflected in
give away prices. Some time the purchase is a bargain, but many times
the young horses were not fed properly, feet allowed to get out of wack,
worming irratic or not at all, vaccines etc. haphazard and training,
marginal, at best.
Contrast that with a farm that puts a great deal of thought into
bloodlines, even importing stallions, and builds up a perfect facility
to insure that the horses are properly cared for and they never lack
health care, training etc.
If you are seriously in search of a horse that will be competitive and
not have problems, where would you purchase your horse? Would you
spend the time it effort to find that perfect "back yard" horse or go to
the breeder who has spent the time, money and effort to build up a
bloodline that will prove itself?
If one doesn't see a reason to spend the few thousand dollars more for
the young horses that are cared for and brought up in an optimum way,
then why and how can any large farm stay in business? Why should
time, money etc. be expended to develop good, sound, and well bred stock?
And do not flame me, because yes, small breeders can be passionately
involved in the care of their horses-- They can afford, up to a point,
to give quality care!!
I am just asking the question--why *should* or *would *anyone establish
a breeding farm, when they have to compete with the low-dollar, giveaway
prices!