Re: [RC] [RC] hot shoeing - Juli Jakub

My farrier said point blank - &quot;some of these guys that call <br>&gt;themselves a farrier can't balance and prepare a foot for a shoe <br>&gt;with a rasp so they just burn it flat with a hot shoe to cover up

I have to say I disagree with that. A farrier should shape the shoe to the horses foot and not the other way around. You should prepare a shoe for an already balanced foot, not prepare a foot to fit a shoe! Hot shoeing is a method of making sure the shoe fits the foot instead of the other way around. I have never had a farrier that caused too much smoke and burned a foot flat... I have never had any lameness trouble from it. Hot shoeing helps a farrier that makes his own shoes ( or totally re makes bought shoes) to more effectively shape the shoe to a foot they have already balanced with a rasp. If someone is burning a foot to fit a shoe...well that doesn't work because you use cutters to also trim and balance as well as the rasp...how do you burn length off? They only touch the already balanced foot with the hot shoe to cause points from the foot to show on the shoe it is quick and painless. they then have reference points on the shoe and can adjust it to fit that (hopefully) balanced foot.Has anyone ever melted a fingernail...I have a few times and it has never hurt and the farrier should have the hot shoe on and off in less time than it takes to melt a fingernail. If a farrier is burning the foot to get the foot to fit the shoe change your farrier fast. I actually changed from a cold shoer to a hot shoer because the cold shoer was mashing my horses feet to fit a pre made shoe. ( Not saying all cold shoers do this so don't flame me I have had some cold shoers that do a fine job) I now have a wonderful farrier that goes out of his way and makes custom shoes that fit my horses feet...my problem child has no more problem feet. I do pull all shoes for the winter months because I do not ride alot or hard...but I will be with the same farrier for hot shoeing come spring. I think hot shoeing is misunderstood maybe because there are some hot shoers out there that are not doing it properly.