Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:30:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Carolyn Burgess <carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Beware: Dogs/horse wormer in horse poop? Bute Too.
To: cheval <cheval@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We also learned that bute is toxic to dogs as well.  Several years ago, I put two tablets of bute in my elderly mares feed (disolved in hot water).  She turned her nose up at it so it ended up in the manure pile, where my lovely little dog helped himself to it.  Within a few hours he was lethargic and had no interest in anything other than sleeping.  As always, it was on the weekend and my regular vet was not open, so we took him to the local emergency room for small animals.  When I told the vet that I though the dog at bute, they asked me what is bute!  When I told them phenylbutezone, they gave me the same strange look.  So they gave me the phone number to animal poison control (yes, it does exist).  Before you call, get out your credit card, because unless the drug you are calling about is a sponsor of animal poison control, you have to pay.  It cost me $40, but I talked to a vet for about 15 minutes,  knew exactly the drug, found out that the amount that was in my mare grain would have killed him if he ate it all.  We think he ate about 1/4 of it.  The dog slept for almost 48 hours straight.  So there can be many hazards around the barnyard for our nosy little pooches.

Carolyn Burgess

Carolyn Burgess
Email:
carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 1-978-897-6624
Fax: 1-419-735-1117

"Slowee, slowee catchee monkey," Rudyard Kipling, from The Jungle Book

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com