Re: [RC] hot shoeing - Chris Paus

Well, as for it making a good seal, I dunno about that.

Star has been cold shod for the 9 years I've had him. In that time, he's lost a grand total of 3 shoes and each were when we went way past the ideal reset date.

My other horse Zab, loses shoes no matter what. My former farrier has gone to greath lengths to make special shoes, toe clips, and hot shoe them on. And two days later a shoe is missing, sometimes two.

I think "keeping the shoes on" has as much to do with the horse as it does with the shoer and the technique.

chris

abigail Madden <run_rosko_run@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

While we?re on the subject of shoeing?

Am I the only person who cringes when the farrier puts the smoking hot shoe on the hoof and ?sears? in on there?  Is this really necessary?  I?d like to ask my shoer not to do this but want to know the pros and cons before I ?go there?.  Any opinions welcome.

Ann

"Slowee, slowee catchee monkey," Rudyard Kipling, from The Jungle Book

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com