Re: [RC] hot shoeing - abigail Madden

Ann,

Rather than asking him not to do it, why don't you ask him questions about why he is doing it.  Give him the opportunity to explain to you the reasoning behind it.  In my opinion, a good farrier will answer your questions and explain the techniques he/she employs.  I ask my farrier all sorts of questions while he's working.  He doesn't mind answering them, and likes the fact that I want to know more about the appropriate care of my horses' feet.  Even if he did mind answering the questions, I'd still ask.  After all, its MY horse and he's working for ME.  I know that good farriers are sometimes hard to find, but I want to know what is going on with my animals.  If I had a farrier that I didn't feel comfortable asking questions of, or that gave me a hard time about answering questions, I'd start shopping for a new one.  Just my opinion.

abigail
Chico, CA

Ann Blankenship <annieb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

While we?re on the subject of shoeing?

Am I the only person who cringes when the farrier puts the smoking hot shoe on the hoof and ?sears? in on there?  Is this really necessary?  I?d like to ask my shoer not to do this but want to know the pros and cons before I ?go there?.  Any opinions welcome.

Ann