[RC] Reply to Saddle Hunt "calm down" advice - Mary Krauss

Well, it's done. I ordered a lovely-sounding navy blue/black combo Freeform today. Now my horses just gotta' survive until it arrives. BTW, for those of you who recommended calming down and making things work when it comes to saddles, I just gotta' say, sometimes one can't do that. My horse was in pain. I was not over-reacting or somehow indulging an innate sense of guilt about being a burden on his back. In truth, I think he rather likes me up there and he certainly enjoys going out on the trail. But the horse was in back hollowing, knee buckling pain. And this was from riding in a saddle that should be an approximate fit. I can't stress enough how much my eyes have opened to the importance of saddle fit. In fact, now that I understand the issue, I will shop for my next horse (in 10 years or so), with an eye to the shape of his/her back. I want "typical". Yah, I know no horse is "normal" but some are more normal than others. Our saddle-fitter even told me that Andalusians are notoriously difficult to fit because they're so wide and curvy all at once.

Do I sound a little defensive tonight? It's just that I feel so stupid for taking this long (my whole life) to get even a smidgeon of knowledge about saddles, shoes, and the rest. Don't even get started telling me how much I have to learn about food. We're sticking to 90% grass/10% alfalfa hay and pasture. Ok, and a handful of sweet feed to help the vitamins go down. And a bit of.... just kidding.

Mary K.