Re: [AERCMembersForum] RE: [RC] [RC] Need help choosing a horse? - Laura Hayes

angie wrote>>>>> Just wondered...are these really big stables that just need to get some gone at any price...or is this a good place to find some well bred horses with cracked coffin bones?<<<

Angie- as I said, this is NOT your average livestock auction--we have them here every month and it is painful to just walk through the barn for the suffering that is going on.

The Addis auctions are for breeders and trainers who are moving horses, either they need the money, they over bred, they are switching disciplines or bloodlines, or as one older lady with REALLY quality working horses said (I bought my 5 yo from her and she could be the best horse I have ever had) she is just getting older and wants to cut back.

There are no sick, lame, skinny or even dirty horses at this sale.  The auctioneers are very fussy about what goes on and what kind of horses they sell.  There is no representative of the horse bidding it up, and the horses come in looking like a million bucks.  You do have to watch out for the occasional crazy (they are A-rabs after all!!) But for the most part, they are just horses within the industry that are moving around.

Arab breeders are notorious for over breeding, not getting the horse with the motion or carriage that they want, and then selling it to start over with the next year's crop. I have brought home 7 horses from this auction over the last few years and every one was a great horse-two are in Guatamala competing.

I am only advocating endurance riders going to this sale because I know I am not going to buy any for myself--if I planned that, I would keep my mouth shut and not have to bid against you!

Laura

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS