RE: [RC] [RC] Need help choosing a horse? - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

low the auction prices were.  NICE horses,  most sold under $1,000.

I'm always scared of auctions because I know the only times I've ever been tempted to sell one by auction was when they were horses that I knew too much about to sell someone with a clear conscience. (I've still never sold one at auction)  I bought a WONDERFUL grandson of Huckleberry Bey that the woman I got him from had bought at a breed auction. He was 5 yrs. old, great disposition, solid built TRUE 15.1, well broke..what could be wrong?  Well, it took a while after I started riding him to notice that every time he swallowed water, it came back out both nostrils! :-P Still a nice horse, he just had a leak. >g< Vets told me that he was liable to suck grain into his lungs and get pneumonia. I sold him as a pleasure horse and told them about his problem. They had him scoped. It wasn't a hole in the pallet. Not sure what caused it.

When I read Laura's post I looked up the auction website. Found the list but no photos. I know several people who go there and have gotten some *really* nice horses. Just wondered...are these really big stables that just need to get some gone at any price...or is this a good place to find some well bred horses with cracked coffin bones? I considered going up and looking it over. I know my cousin sold a bunch of nice Apps at a breed auction and they went for *nothing*. It was far less money than he'd have taken from any individual back home but I think it was kind of comforting to him to sell them that cheap when all the other good horses were going cheap too. Didn't have to let the folks back home see it and it *did* get them out of his barn.

Angie