[RC] Stallions - Donna Coss

Stallions can live together IF they have the space to move around and they are not directly in contact with mares. I have two, four year old stallions, and a six year old who are together the majority of the time. One may be separated and taken to the main barn for even up to a month, during breeding season. He can be introduced back into the group! They will do the initial posturing, rearing and striking out, but not with intent to really hurt each other and of course they squeal and carry on, but most of this is just mock, play fighting. These stallions have been together since they were yearlings, but the older stallion was just introduced into the herd a year ago. He actually just watches the other two and stays out of the action. Except for the stud pile behavior, where they take turns impressing each other, they act like geldings. They even groom each other!
I will say it definitely depends on how your stallions are raised. I doubt you can take older strangers and turn them out without taking a big risk. But if you have youngsters and let them always interact with other horses, they seem to develop the social skills that allow them to be comfortable around other horses.
My pasture is about 5 acres in size and I stress again, they do not have mares close up. Imagine all of the poor stallions in this country that are standing in 12 x 12 stalls with walls up to the ceiling 24/7. Then they are expected to quietly behave when led from their, dark, poorly ventilated stalls. The horse is a social animal! It's whole life is about interacting with other horses! The cruelty to stallions in this world is one I hate to dwell upon. That they tolerate such cruelty is a tribute to the horse and how they have adjusted to mankind. Every stallion deserves, at the very least a large, stall with a run-out paddock, placed where he can interact and see all of the horses. Yes, this does mean a proper fense, but if he is worth anything at all, that should not be a problem!

--
www.shagyasport.com