[RC] ez boot modifications question - Marta Kozlowska

my mare is barefoot and when footing is hard or rocky we use ez boots. the only modification to the boots is that the metal teeth are bent down and tape over w/ duct tape. however, yesterday when we rode at length on some trails that were a variation of hard packed and soft sand, when i took the boots off i thought i saw a bit of rubbing on her heels bulbs. i know some people cut out the strap to avoid rubbing issues. our trimmer cuts them out on the epics. but i'm wondering how the ez boots stay on if you cut the straps? is that even possible? do i have to get them a size smaller if i cut the strap out? and finally, am i rightly concerned over the bit of rubbing on the heel bulbs? i'm assuming that since it's a relatively soft tissue, the rubbing can become painful but maybe i'm wrong?
thanks!
marta

--
god created women so his horses would survive