Re: [RC] Motorhome Advice - Joe Long

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:50:15 -0700, "Karla Watson" <karlawatson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Ok, have 2 kids now competing with me and the camper is getting kind of
tight....so looking at used Class C motorhomes for next season. Any advice? I
have to haul a 3 horse slant that is not really heavy but will have 3 horses
in there. What size engine should I look for? What length is good? Shorter?
Longer? (I would prefer something around 20-24' if possible) What kind of
modifications do I need to make to the tow bar and is it expensive? If you've
had problems with towing with an RV, let me know. Should I just get a bigger
camper?? I need to find something bigger for us 3 this winter and CANNOT
afford a horse trailer/living quarters, so don't advice that. Thanks!
-------Karla Watson/Oregon

I pulled a horse trailer behind a Class C motorhome for years.

Try to get one without too much overhang behind the rear axle.  Then have a
good, solid hitch put one by people who know what they are doing -- the ball
will be a long way behind the axle and with that kind of leverage the whole
assembly can end up bending down.  The hitch should be reinforced all the way up
to the neighborhood of the axle.

Then, you probably need to have the tongue on the trailer extended as well, for
clearance when backing.  I had my trailer custom-made, and had it made with an
extended tongue.  I could back it to a ninety-degree angle without anything
hitting.  However, after a couple of years both the trailer and the hitch on the
motorhome showed some bending, and I had to add extra reinforcement.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx