Re: [RC] New Ride Manager Questions - Susan, Princess of Pink

I just mailed my sanctioning request for my very first ride!  =)

GOOD FOR YOU!  Thanks for stepping up to the plate!

1.  I would like to do T-shirts as completion awards.

Find out what kind of a lead time you'll need for the t-shirts.  They may need to know something long before you want your pre-entry deadline to be.  XL t-shirts usually work for more people.  Many adults can wear an XL...even if it is too big.  The petite person can wear the XL as a night shirt...or even a "dress".  If you think you'll have 100 riders, split your order something like 50 XL, 25 L, 15 M & 10 S.

2.  About how many trail markers should I plan on?  10 per mile?  This is a NIGHT RIDE so I'll be doing glowbars as well.

What I've seen that worked well was white paper plates.  They are big and easily seen.  They work much better than ribbons.  Use globars on the turns.

You will need more marking for a night ride.  I hope most of your "trail" is actually on road.  If there is a turn, put pie plates on every other tree and use your globars.

Lime may not work too well.  Depending on the moon and trees, riders won't see it very well.

3.  Any other good suggestions?  What are some "fun" awards you have given to those mid-pack finishers?

Electrolites, flashlight batteries, horsie folders for junior riders, hair thingies for junior girl riders, water bottles, bandanas...

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)