Re: [RC] Sensitive Ears - Vallonelee

In a message dated 10/14/05 10:57:13 AM US Mountain Standard Time, raneller@xxxxxxx writes:
A lot of the old-school "earing" done by cowboys when starting colts can cause this situation.
I got a stallion as a 9 y.o., many years back. He was extremely sensitive to anything or anyone touching his ears - threw his head sideways and even swung his head back at you.  I chalked it up to the same thing - ear twitching in his past.

Fast forward about 5 years and his son is born right into my arms.  I get the towel to wipe the little guy off and he does the EXACT same thing - even though he was just born.  I still own both and daddy (now a gelding) is just okay with handling his ears.  The son (gelding) is okay but you can clearly tell he isn't happy about it, even though I have owned him since birth and have never been rough with his ears.

It is something that I have always wondered about.

The thing that worked the best for them is the approach/withdrawl techniques that have already been described.

Good luck.