[RC] Stallions in endurance - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Char char.antuzzi@xxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I ride studs and have always ridden stallions. It makes no
difference if you are riding a stud, mare or gelding they should
behave! There is a liability in riding a stud. If you get dumped
at the start of the ride, he goes off and attacks another horse,
or he gets lose in camp and causes harm etc. But, just like any
other horse you had better make darn sure your horse is broke,
he ties, stands still, doesn't kick, doesn't scream, doesn't
charge, strike and he camps. You can stick Galis nose in a water
tank right beside a mare and you would never know this was a
stud. I ride side by side with mares in heat, no problem what so
ever. He goes next to a stud, next to geldings or by himself!

You have to understand that they do indeed think differently
then a mare or gelding, sorry but they do. You have to make sure
you are one step ahead of them and keep their mind on their jobs
Again, no differnet then any other horse. They have a job to do
(Carry you in a safe manner down the trail) and it is YOUR JOB
to make sure they are capable of doing this at home before you
take him to a ride. There is nothing worse then a screaming stud
in camp, one that other riders have to watch out for. Others
around you should not even be aware you're on a stud, period.

I craked up not to long ago when someone told me they were
coming up behind me and to look out as they were on a stud. My
reply back, So What, I'm on one to, come on around. No one
should have to look out because your on a stud. It should make
no difference what so ever. Make sure he's broke before you get
him to a ride.

The problem I have is sometimes with other people. They ride up
your rear end on a mare, pass, cut you off, then the mare slams
on her brakes because she's in heat. Sometimes it's the crankie
mares that are the problem.

One thing also to think about, some stallions can get real lazy
and feel sorry for themselves. You have to stroke their little
egos the entire 50 miles, come on you can do it, you look so
handsome when you're trotting along, come on big boy I know you
can get up the hill. The mares all love a big trot, come on Gali
you can do it.

Have fun, make sure you, your stud and most of all the people
around you are safe and you will have a great time

Char and Sir Galahad (The big mustang stud)