[RC] North American - update - Steph Teeter

Lots more photos at http://www.endurance.net/international/2005naec/

Yesterday was misty/drizzly all day, trail is pretty slick - but the rain is
over for the week and this loamy soil dries out quickly. Shouldn't be too
bad by Saturday.

Ride briefing yesterday morning - seems to be an extremely organized (and
relaxed) OC, lots to do, but a lot of folks pitching in. Great trail
presention - looked like Power Point - with each day's trail. Sections of
trail became 'alive' as they were discussed. very cool. The trail is
basically 100 miles all scrunched into a 5000 acre parcel, like spaghetti
noodles spread on a plate. They're pretty confident though that it won't be
confusing to the riders. Lots of colored plates and ribbons. Glowsticks in
the morning (5am - dark - start). They're using nautical signals for turns -
Red means Right, White means left. So if there is a red ribbon with the
trail marker, a Right turn is approaching. White ribbon, get ready to turn
left.

Nice Opening Ceremony - riders were mounted, dressed in  zone colors. It was
nice to see the horses being paraded - they looked so beautiful and fit, and
clean :)  The drizzle was off & on - but nobody seemed to notice, lots of
good spirits. Reception in the big tent for all disciplines (there's a big
eventing thing going on here too). A whole lot of horsey people.

Mexican dinner at night, door prizes, auction, slides of photos taken during
the ceremony.

Trot-outs are this morning - I'm headed over to get some more photos. Will
upload them and then drive around and check out the course and crew points.
Supposedly... there will be a spot near HQ with wireless Internet - we'll
see! Otherwise I'll be going back and forth between the trail and the hotel
where I have a fast link. Posting photos, and notes. The OC is doing updates
all day of the vetgate info (I belive the timing system was donated by Steve
& Dinah Rojek) - so there should be plenty of info on the official website.

Off to breakfast, and trot-outs.

Steph