Re: [RC] Alpine's leg - Sisu West Ranch

"... very slight bow of the tendon of his left hind..."

We have had two bows over the years.  Both front digital flexor tendons.

The prescription was a couple of weeks stall rest, then increasing exercise on a graded program.  For the TB racetrack horses our vet did an ultrasound every two weeks, using that to prescribe the increase in exercise for the next two weeks.  I opted for less frequent ultra sounds and just go with the graded program.

It happened about this time of year.  To make a long story short the horse was sound to ride by Jan.  At that time I turned out 24/7, and rode 3 nights a week.  A great chance to learn how to ride at night on ice.(we were in WI).  By the next June he was back doing endurance.  Similar story with Wendy's, except that she chose to do CTR with him.  Today you can not tell that there ever was a bow in either.

I think the graded exercise is the key.  If your vet doesn't know how to prescribe this, then find another vet or vet school.

They can and do come back completely sound!

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875