[RC] stall rest and uptight horses - Jonni

Sooner or later, those of us who have horses who do not normally live confined in stalls or smaller corrals are going to have to lay one up due to injury or illness. May folks seem to have problems with this, as the horses do not like to be confined, with their buddy's still out in the field. This makes healing very difficult, and often the horse will work itself into such a frenzy, or act so naughty, they end up making their health issues worst..

I try to routinely rotate around, and lock up each horse for a night or two while they are not hurt or sick, so they will find it a normal situation. I usually lock up two at a time, so that they have a friend to keep them company. Then, when you do need to lock one up for some reason, you will have a much less stressed horse, as it is nothing "new".

I have one locked up right now with an injury. I have been rotating who is keeping him company between the other 4 horses. He has not been stressed, and has not torn the barn down. My "homework" has paid off.

Jonni