Re: [RC] Skin condition -- scabby and weepy and flaky, oh my! - Carol Suggs

Wow that is wierd.  You might try MTG and follow the directions. If that doesn't work call the vet!  It can be found at most tack shops and catalogs.  It stinks but I have found it to help one of our horses with her skin condition.

Carol-Mariposa
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:56 PM
Subject: [RC] Skin condition -- scabby and weepy and flaky, oh my!

My new horse Queso has a strange skin condition, which his previous owner said he never had (don't know it I should believe it or not)  I've had him a month, and the first patch showed up about 2 days after he got here.  It starts out where the hair falls out overnight, and the skin is broken, scaly, and weepy -- pus/blood droplets.  Then it dries out to just scaly, and oh soooo slowly hair grows back (the first patch is still growing over).  Several patches have appeared since, and the weird thing is that the patches only appear on his face, neck and chest.  Some funky pictures of the patches are at this link:

I've tried the following remedies:  Head and Shoulders shampoo (on the advice of a mentor/neighbor), Bag Balm, Antifungal spray, Desitin, and am experimenting with one treatment of the following on different patches:  CalmCoat, Fungisan, and Eqyss MicroTek (results as yet unknown, still too soon to tell).

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  It's not contagious -- his pasture buddy who is attached to him like glue doesn't have it.  I was thinking maybe allergy?  We just moved here last winter, and the field was a soybean field last year, but we put in pasture and while we have weeds, there is plenty of very good grass for them to eat.  He was moved from central Virginia (mountainous) to Eastern Virginia (sandy soil/in a river valley).  He was on pasture there, with a handful of sweet feed once a day, and is on the same here.  I can't imagine that he's stressed -- he's a very friendly, outgoing guy, and he is only just green broke, and gets ridden maybe once or twice a week for 20 minutes and 3-4 20 minute groundwork sessions.

Any thoughts?

Sarah
:)