Re: [RC] FreeForm endurance saddles - Julia Bianchi

I also use a Freeform and I love it. My mare has
caused nothing but total frustration when trying to
find her a saddle that fits. We were using a Reactor
Panel on her but that was causing damage and so in
total desperation I turned to the Freeform. Now I
tested this saddle three separate times before I
decided that I liked it. The first encounter the seat
was two small which left me uncomfortably pressed up
against the pommel. However, it gave me a rough idea
of what the saddle was like and at that point I was
impressed with its lightness. The second time I
actually brought home a demo and tried it for a week
and the first time I rode in that one I hated it. I
kept getting rubbed by the straps and I felt as though
I kept slidding in it. Out of total irony though
Lady's back showed no signs or soreness. Go figure
that we would find a saddle that fits her and not me.
My solution to the problem of me being rubbed was to
cover it in one of those fuzzy saddle pads. It worked,
I find that I don't get rubbed and that I stick in the
saddle better. I rode my first 75 in this saddle and
it was fantastic. My knees would ache from ridding in
my dad's RP and also in my mom's free and easy but my
legs were fine after going 75 miles on the freeform.
Not only was I great but so was Lady. Now I also use
an Equipedic pad and the one thing that I have noticed
is that there seems to be a lot of heat that gets
trapped between Lady's back and the saddle. Alas, it
might just be my horse who happens to give off a lot
of heat. I am actually thinking of using a Dixie
midnight pad to try and get rid of this problem.
So I have to say that I am all for the freeform but it
really depends on horse and rider. I have heard that a
freeform is not for heavy weight riders and I know
there are people out there who don't believe in
treeless saddles so really it just comes down to what
you are looking for and trying it out. To each their
own.
Good luck,
 Jules

--- sandy.l.holder@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

Thought I'd respond to your inquiry as I've now had
my FreeForm since
April and covered a 'few miles', including my first
100 miler.  I must
confess though that I was 'on a saddle finding
mission' when, much to my
chagrin, my custom made saddle ONCE AGAIN failed me.
 Having spent over
$10,000 in the past 3 years on saddles (all but the
custom made one
resaleable), I was at my proverbial wits end (pissed
is the local
translation).

I'll try to keep this short but you can e-mail me
privately if you'd like
more info.  Having traveled to Ridgecrest (Twenty
Mule Team) with my
riding buddy (6.5 hours without counting the stops),
having ridden briefly
to see the trail, only to discover in the vet line
that my custom made
saddle had given my boy a slightly sore back, I
decided not to ride him
and crewed (I'm terrible at it but that's another
story).  Anyway, I
bought the FreeForm after asking Michele Rouch about
it, took it with me
(and another horse) to 3 days at Cuyama and the
first time I rode in it
was 50 miles on a horse who'd never had one on his
back.  All three days
of Cuyama and we finished safe and sound.  Next time
I used it was for a
50 miler two weeks later on the same horse.  Same
good result except we
needed to add a crupper (he doesn't have high
withers and it was very
steep in some places).  Next time was on my primary
horse at the 50 mile
Whiskeytown ride, a pretty tough ride and we did
exceptionally well, even
after Tally's pasture mate kicked him (again,
another story).

We've never been pulled or had a sore back because
of the saddle.  Keep in
mind, I use it on 5 different arab horses (16 h 1200
lb. Lucky - da big
boy; 15.3 h barely 900 lb. angular, high withered,
skinny boy Tally; 15
hand 1100 lb. round/pregnant looking Sister; 900 lb.
14.2 h short coupled
recently gelded greenie Justice; and, when I can
steal him from his
father/owner, 15.3 hand 1050 lb. elegant boy Star).
The only problem I've
ever had was with the original Italian girth - which
they don't sell
anymore (might it have had something to do with my
feedback??!!!).  Check
with Chris or Steve at www.Freeformusa.com  Good
guys and a really good
saddle.  Oh, and I'm in the process of modifying it
to use my old
endurance leathers and stirrups.  My daughter was
trying out my saddle and
just put hers through the ring that theirs are sewn
to.  I'll of course
give my opinion once I try it out.

Good luck!
Sandy
p.s. I currently use the Equipedic pad with it but
I'm in the process of
getting one of the HAF pads they sell to try out.
I'll let you all know
how it goes.

The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.   If you
received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material
from any computer.  PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a
Delaware limited
liability
partnership.

"You may forget but let me tell you this, someday, someone in some future time
will think of us." - Sappho, circa 625 B.C.